HKIHRM Training & Development Needs Survey 2014

Overview

In 2014, 82% of companies participating in the survey reported that a budget had been set aside for staff training and development. On average, it amounted to 3.5% of total annual base salary, which is the highest figure recorded since 2004. An average of 17.5 hours were devoted to staff training during the year. This is figure has been on a mild declining trend for the third consecutive year. The majority of companies (55%) have 1 to 2 employees sharing the responsibility of staff training and development.


The proportion of training and development budget allocated to training non-management level staff (56%) was higher than that earmarked for management staff (44%). Furthermore, outsourced training amounted to 58% of training budget while in-house programmes took up the remaining 42%.


According to responding companies, training topics on strategic management are generally regarded as more important to employees at senior management level while training areas related to managing and working with people are found to be relevant to middle management / professional staff. For junior and entry level staff, more emphasis is placed on functional training areas as well as enhancement of skills / knowledge.

chart

Close to three fifths of companies (59%) indicated that ethics training had been organised for their staff in the past two years. The most popular training subject is “Anti-corruption / Anti-money laundering”.


Training practices that leverage internal resources are most popular. Four of the top five training practices fall into this category. These include “On-the-job training” (91%), “In-house development programmes” (82%), “Coaching by line Manager” (73%) and “Internal knowledge sharing events” (65%). “External conferences., workshops, events” (80%) is the only externally sourced training format that is placed among the top five.


Slightly over half of responding companies (55%) reported that e-learning programmes are already implemented. This is the highest level recorded since 2004. Compared to 2013, the majority of these companies (53%) saw their 2014 e-Learning budgets remaining at the same level while 44% reported an increase. Adopted by two out of three companies, online training videos is the most prevalent form of e-learning programme. At 38%, webinars / virtual classroom is a distant second.


Talent development programme is implemented in 57% of companies, which is similar to the figure last year. The focus continues to be on the development of high potential staff.
The key challenges faced while formulating training plans in 2014 includ

ed “Difficulties in measuring effectiveness/ ROI of training programmes” (52%) and “Training and development priority overshadowed by other business priorities” (51%), and “Systematic process to survey training needs yet to be set up” (40%).

 

Go to Press release

Purchase the Training & Development Survey report


Copyright © 2019 Hong Kong Institute of Human Resource Management. All Rights Reserved.
powered by Motherapp Limited